Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Guide to Gil at Game Events

Inspired by the inimitable Tanya DePass, I decided to take a stab at explaining a bit about myself and how I like to engage in public. In no particular order, here's stuff worth knowing about me to help you engage with me so we're each happier people.


  • Gil Almogi is my real name, not short for anything and not a nom de plume. Gil is pronounced with a hard 'g' sound: ghil. It means, "joy," in Hebrew. Almogi contains a long 'o' sound and a hard 'g' sound: ahl-MOH-ghee. It means, "coral," in Hebrew.
  • Identities: homosexual, white, male (he/his/him), Israeli-born, Israeli-American-raised, agnostic, atheist, gamer.
  • I do not work full-time in the game industry yet. I've also never made a game.
  • My favorite video game genres are adventure and RPG. I'll happily play games from other genres, except I don't like sports, tower defense, turn-based strategy, or endless games. At home, I prefer single-player games and avoid online multiplayer. With friends, I enjoy some multiplayer games. I actually do not inherently care for tabletop games; some can be fun, but I don't seek them out. I love watching people play games, especially single-player.
  • I'm not well-versed in anything! I didn't own an Atari, NES, or SNES growing up and missed out on a lot of "classics." I'm also not well-read, haven't watched many popular films, and don't like a lot of popular music. That said, I'm very interested in listening to people talk passionately about stuff I haven't experienced.
  • I can be very social with people I like and trust, but I can also find it taxing. I have a hard time introducing myself to people I've never met. Also, I am not comfortable in huge crowds of people I do not know, and I typically won't go to huge parties. When I do, it's usually because there's free food. If you'd like to invite me to a party you're going to, I hope you're offering to hang around me for the duration. Oh, and I have a lot of trouble understanding people over loud music or a lot of ambient noise, so I'm sorry if I ask you to repeat yourself or nod blankly.
  • I love hugging folks I know, and I may even be willing to hug you if I don't know you that well. That said, if we're not already there in our relationship, please ask if it's OK. I will try to do the same for others. Also, I generally do not assume people want a hug unless I feel that it's been communicated that it's desired. I'm OK being touched in a completely platonic way (head on shoulder, sitting close together, etc).
  • I love to eat, and though I am a pickier eater than many, I love a variety of foods. The most welcoming thing you can do is to invite me out for a meal while at an event. My favorite cuisines are Indian and Mexican. Lately, I've been really into curry.
  • I generally do not drink alcohol unless I feel completely comfortable, and the drinks are free. (I had maybe three drinks in all of 2015.) I also do not drink to get buzzed or drunk, and I prefer not to be around others doing so with a few exceptions depending on my comfort level at the time. I will politely reject invitations to events where I believe people will be drinking a lot, such as those with an open bar.
  • I don't and have never smoked or ingested marijuana. I also hate the smell.
  • I subscribe to intersectional feminist beliefs, and I strongly believe in diversity in gaming and society at large, however that manifests. I'm happy to talk about these issues, but not with people who are disingenuous and want to be devil's advocates.
  • Please do not ever use "retarded" in front of me. I will ask you to choose another word to convey your thought.
  • Whether or not we know each other, if there's something I can do to make you feel safer, please do not hesitate to come to me. I'd rather foster a safe space than worry about the above bullet points.
  • Whether or not we know each other, if there's something I did or am doing that makes you feel unsafe, I hope you can talk to me about it privately or with someone to moderate and make you feel safer. I'd rather foster a safe space than worry about my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment